Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A woman's right to shoes

I was watching that Sex and the City episode where Carrie has her Manolos stolen last week with my best friend. We love that one! It came to mind yesterday when I bought a pair of Louboutins in the boxing day sales. They were 60% off the original price, which means that they were probably slightly cheaper than they'd initially have been in the US (designer prices here are crazy, for some reason), so they were a good deal.

Anyway, when I was buying them at David Jones there were 2 ladies behind me in the line commenting that they could've bought 5 pairs of shoes for the price of my Louboutins (my first thought was that I don't need 5 more pairs - I already have about 150!). I'd heard them talking about their children before that, so obviously they were in a different stage of their lives to me. I wasn't sure whether I should've felt embarrassed, offended or guilty about buying the shoes after that, but I decided that I wasn't going to feel any of those things.

I can afford shoes like this at the moment. I may not be able to at any other stage of my life. But as I have no mortgage and no children, and a professional job, I'm going to enjoy the opportunity to buy beautiful, expensive things while it lasts, and no one is going to make me feel bad about it!

7 comments:

  1. They're beautiful! No need to feel guilty ;) I think it's rude commenting on other people, it's your money after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Siel - it's your business what you spend your money on, and how is having 5 pairs of cheap shoes better than having one pair of shoes that you really want?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you. When I first started working I had a well paid job and was single with no mortgage. I went out and spent a small fortune on the most divine pair of shoes. Now I have responsibilities I could never do that, and I'm so pleased I did. I now keep those very shoes in a glass display to remind me of my frivolous youth. Enjoy it while you can, all to soon it becomes impossible. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous shoes! I've never seen Louboutins in any DJs I've been into, especially not 60% off ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have every right to buy pretty shoes!!! especially these ones, these are soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How rude to comment about another person's money/spending. Some peole just have no class. Maybe what they were meaning to say was, "Gee I wish I could afford to buy such a fabulous pair of shoes."

    ReplyDelete